Thursday, August 1, 2013

Introduction/Challenge 1

Welcome to Total Pokemon Unova! I am your host, vaporterra (follow me on twitter @vaporterra). Many of you already know me but for anyone who doesn't, I've hosted and participated in numerous camps on youtube throughout the past four years, having won 28 that I’ve participated (a respectable amount) and I’ve made it far in a larger percentage of the camps I've competed in. It’s become a huge time commitment but I keep doing this because I love the excitement, the intensity, and the variety of contestants that I’ve met over the years and I hope this camp can be one that interests you and that you remember. To those of you who have been in previous camps of mine, I’m glad you’re back. To any newcomers, whether we’re complete strangers at this point in time or we’ve known each other and it’s just you first time competing in a camp of mine, I’m excited you decided to sign up.

Pokemon X and Y come out in just over two months, so why make a Unova theme camp? Well the first camps I did way back in like 2009, maybe early 2010, I did a camp for Kanto, then Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. And then those were all the main series regions at the time so I did some other themed camps, most notably my 6 camp saga where I hosted all 649 Pokemon from the 1st 5 Gens: Total Pokemon World Tour, Total Pokemon Second Choices, Total Pokemon Outsiders, Total Pokemon Media, and most recently the two camps I hosted at the same time Total Pokemon Black 2 and White 2. Now’s just as good of a time as ever to get back on the region track.

So the challenges will all have some connection to Unova/Generation 5. If you played Pokemon Black, White, Black 2, and/or White 2, you’ll be in a good position. If not, websites such as http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net will prove useful but don’t be shy to ask your teammates for help. I understand everyone’s goal is to vote everyone else off and win but at some point you’ll need someone else’s help. If you have not played at least 1 of B/W and 1 of B/W2, I highly suggest you do. I know most of you probably don’t have a job and you’re saving up for Pokemon X and/or Y, but they’re really good games and they can make the wait (even if it’s only a few months left) feel a lot shorter.

Now here’s some things you need to know
-Strike system: If you fail to do a challenge and you are not excused, you get a strike. If you get 3 strikes, you’re automatically eliminated from this camp. If you have a strike but you do the challenge your strikes are removed. Strikes may also be removed in certain special cases. It’s not impossible to return if you are eliminated by 3 strikes, but unless you somehow prove to me you really deserve another chance, you likely won’t get another chance.

-Missing challenges: If you know you may be away for over a day with no access to youtube, LET ME KNOW AHEAD OF TIME! Find a way: be it your normal computer, someone else’s computer, an ipad or a phone, you have to let me know somehow or I will give you a strike in any challenge you miss. I will be extra careful to make sure I don’t miss any messages but if I do not have a message from you, do not complain that you did it because I have no proof. Do not blame me if youtube screws up or if you accidentally shut off your computer before you hit send or something. What I would do is just do my best to survive the elimination by convincing your team or something.

-At the start, most challenges will run for at least 24 hours. After 24 hours have been reached, I can end the challenge at any time. If this is a problem for you, try to figure out ways to visit youtube more often and then talk to me for help. As the competition nears its end, the speed will pick up so you need to be prepared for that. I’ll warn you ahead of time to make adjusting easier.

-To give it more of a “classic camp” vibe, THERE WILL BE NO ITEMS IN THIS CAMP! Not even Hidden Immunity Idols. You have to rely on your skill a lot more this time. I think this will make people happier, especially considering the decent amount of eliminations that occurred because of items in Total Pokemon Black 2 and White 2

-If you have a thought about quitting, talk to me first so we can figure out your situation. If you change your mind, AWESOME! If you still want to quit, ok then. Don’t consider quitting just because you fear elimination, because at least if you do get voted off, you’ll be eligible to return. You definitely need to be sure if you want to quit because there’s no changing your mind; if you quit, you’re out for the season. No chance of returning.

-Regarding merges, returning, etc., the only info I will disclose as of now is that 4 players will eventually return and there will be 8 addons, making for a total of 72 rankings. I’ll give you more information when I feel like I should. Do not ask me repeatedly for when twists will happen.
-Cast lists will be available in 2 ways: 1.On this link(save this link on your email or computer or something): http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5589823278425612817#allposts/postNum=0

2.If you have a gmail account, you can give it to me and I will share with you a google document that will have an up-to-date cast list complete with teams and elimination orders for this camp. I promise that your email will not be used for any other purpose besides to give you access to that document. Please do NOT ask me repeatedly for the list of players. I understand once every now and then, but you should take the initiative for big camps like these to save such information.

-If you ever have any other questions, contact me immediately. Youtube is the best way to contact me.

-Occasionally I may use my backup accounts flarempoleon or TotalDramaGuidance to send messages when vaporterra cannot send any further messages. You make my life so much easier when you reply to those messages by changing the recipient to vaporterra. It’s not as easy as it used to be a few years ago, but it just takes an extra 5 seconds of your time.

-As of this time I will not be making videos consistently. If I have the chance, I will make them. However I can guarantee I will update my blogger and post updates on Twitter (please make one if you don’t have one yet). When you are eliminated, I’ll ask you if you want me to pm you updates on the camp in order to keep track of what happens in the camp(especially if you plan on possibly returning to the game). If you say yes or do not respond, I’ll keep sending them to you. If you say no at that instant or later, I’ll stop sending them. Keep in mind that there are certain updates that I send to everyone, especially near the end of the season.

-Top 5 nuggets of wisdom if you want to win:
5.Be social. Talk to people you don’t know or you want to know better, even if it’s about something unrelated to the camp. The more people you know and who know you, the more options you have.
4.Be adaptable. Instead of complaining when a twist or something doesn’t go your way, be open-minded and see what you can do differently to keep yourself on track.
3.Be responsible. If you screw up in some way (most notably failure to do a challenge), hone up to it and try to find a way to fix it. You get more respect that way.
2.Be in an alliance. If for some reason you end up as a potential target, an alliance can be a lifesaver. Get into one early because if you wait until the merge or until late in the game to make an alliance, chances are you won’t be taken seriously.
1.Be nice. No matter how good you are, it doesn’t mean anything if you’re not nice. Even if you somehow manage to win the game, it definitely gives you a bad reputation for future camps if you are a mean person. This is a game where you have to vote people off and outwit others but that can be done without being a jerk.

So there will be 15 teams of 4 to start out with. We’ll start with 3-4 people getting voted off each elimination for a while and then we’ll see. Here’s the first twist of the season. I call it “Luck of the Tiebreaker”. How I’ll do it is in odd number eliminations, if there is a tie in votes that would affect an elimination, a revote occurs. In even number eliminations, such ties will be broken by who got that number of votes first. This will at the very least keep you on your toes because depending on whether an elimination is odd or even can affect who goes home.

Here’s the list of the players that will start this competition (doesn’t include addons)

Victini’s Searing Shots (VSS)
1.Victini-thetwisterboy09
2.Tepig-firebid1030
3.Samurott-trelonbarrett123
4.Simisage-NegaSub
5.Blitzle-kietgreen
6.Gurdurr-shadethedarksoul8
7.Petilil-pokemonand9
8.Darmanitan-ajthespriter06
9.Zoroark-firefang20
10.Emolga-NightBlastingSkitty
11.Elgyem-Typemania
12.Axew-Yymastaconfuctious
13.Braviary-PokemonFanKH2
14.Heatmor-StepSoneful
15.Volcarona-wifishark8

Keldeo’s Justice Swords (KJS)
1.Pignite-gopokemon121
2.Dewott-gamecity12
3.Panpour-joshytje5
4.Simipour-mrlaughybot2
5.Sawk-shadowthehedgehog125
6.Whimsicott-SuperPlatformer
7.Sandile-nintendofan204
8.Maractus-rocerdude404
9.Scrafty-redfrog45
10.Zorua-BlackKirby108
11.Ducklett-shadowkirby10100
12.Swanna-kevandkeith42120
13.Mienshao-TheVaporeon123
14.Virizion-TheLazyRiku
15.Keldeo(Resolute)-Franky494

Meloetta’s Relic Singers (MRS)
1.Oshawott-TheLazySora
2.Purrloin-dudeski7373
3.Pidove-Rhbkblader88
4.Unfezant(M)-matthewvp18
5.Zebstrika-TheZappingZebstrika
6.Audino-monok1998
7.Sewaddle-babycakes123tdifan
8.Lilligant-clilmama33830
9.Cofagrigus-THEDKA3
10.Cinccino-Bunpuffy
11.Reuniclus-tpidude73
12.Cubchoo-less4u2c
13.Beartic-BlackMagic622
14.Bouffalant-jacobwinner1999
15.Meloetta(Pirouette Form)-PokeDiva101

Genesect’s Drive Arsenal(GDA)
1.Snivy-LolliPopGirlMeow
2.Serperior-BOOLOVER57
3.Excadrill-TheACF12
4.Palpitoad-shadowduck7
5.Leavanny-masterofflam
6.Scraggy-ForrestMightyena247
7.Garbodor-xtiandg0914
8.Vanilluxe-DoubleJEspejwan6
9.Escavalier-TheMysterious2634
10.Joltik-ShinyStoutland
11.Galvantula-chimchar279
12.Ferrothorn-2319mi
13.Golurk-PoryfulZ
14.Bisharp-regice112
15.Durant-Woodenfan

The first challenge is to tell me what your thoughts on Generation 5 were. Leave no thoughts you think are important out. What I’m looking for is:
-Clarity/organization (Is it difficult for me to understand what you’re saying or what your point is)
-Spelling/grammar (a few mistakes isn’t the end of the world but if every other word is misspelled and it’s not familiar text language, we have a problem)
-Reasoning (I have my own opinions, I’ll keep them out of it but if you say something that’s just stupid, that will hurt you)
-Participation (it’s the first challenge. I don’t want you to solve 20 Physics questions. I mainly want to make sure you have a brain and you’re gonna take this game as seriously as you should)

This challenge will be due Midnight Saturday, August 3rd. (time subject to change but I will inform you all ahead of time if it changes). 1st place team wins immunity. 2nd and 3rd vote off 1 member. 4th will vote off 2 members. Good luck and get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment